A patty melt is a type of sandwich consisting of a beef patty topped with caramelized onions and Swiss cheese on rye bread. A variant of the traditional cheeseburger, it’s unclear when the patty melt was invented; however, its existence has been documented since the 1940s. The patty melt resembles a cross between a hamburger and grilled cheese sandwich as it is made with a cheese-covered beef patty on bread and prepared much like a grilled cheese sandwich. Variations of the traditional patty melt include using different types of bread such as sourdough or Texas toast as well as different kinds of cheese.
Recipe Servings: 4
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the sliced onions and cook slowly for about 20–25 minutes or until the onions are golden brown and soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the onions from the heat and set aside.
- Divide and shape the ground beef into four patties.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add two of the beef patties to the hot skillet.
- Season each patty with garlic salt and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook the patties on one side for about 5 minutes or until browned before flipping and cooking them for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked patties from the skillet to a plate.
- Repeat steps six through nine with the two remaining patties.
- Wipe the skillet clean using paper towel and place it back over medium-low heat.
- Spread butter onto one side of each of the slices of bread and place two slices into the skillet butter side down.
- Top each of the slices of bread with a ¼ of the caramelized onions followed by a slice of swiss cheese, then a cooked beef patty, and lastly a slice of cheddar cheese. Place a slice of bread over each of the cheese-covered patties with the butter side facing up.
- Cook the sandwiches for about 2–3 minutes or until the bottom slice of bread turns a golden-brown.
- Flip the sandwiches over and cook, covered, for another 2–3 minutes or until the bottom slice of bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the sandwiches from the heat and repeat the process using the remaining ingredients.
Recipe introduction and directions © Copyright 2016-2023 World Trade Press. All rights reserved.