This hearty mushroom casserole, also known as zhulien, is extremely popular among people of Russian extraction. As in many Russian dishes, sour cream is a central ingredient. It is cheesy, creamy, earthy, and delicious as an appetizer or side dish, and can even serve as a decadent main course.
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, toss the mushrooms with the flour. Add the coated mushrooms to the pan with the butter, stirring, for about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and allow a bit of time to let the pan cool.
- Add the sour cream to the pan with the mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to an oven-safe baking dish and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Place dish in oven and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe introduction and directions © Copyright 2016-2023 World Trade Press. All rights reserved.