Hardboiled eggs are mashed with potatoes and enriched with mayonnaise in this delectable and savory Surinamese dish. In Suriname, egg salad is subtly adapted for the local palate with garam masala seasoning and sweet chili sauce. With its gentle medley of textures and spice flavors, this elegant salad makes an excellent side dish or sandwich filling. Recipe Servings: Serves 4
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 6 large hardboiled eggs
- 2 cups (480 ml) mashed potatoes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) softened butter
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garam masala
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sweet chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) chopped cilantro, to garnish
- 1/4 tsp (1.5 ml) cayenne pepper , to garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs and potatoes. Mash them well.
- Stir in garlic and shallot. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, add the butter, mayonnaise, mustard, garam masala, salt, pepper, and sweet chili sauce. Stir until well combined.
- Mix the mashed egg-potato mixture with the butter-seasonings.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and dashes of cayenne pepper.
Recipe introduction and directions © Copyright 2016-2023 World Trade Press. All rights reserved.